Just Curious

Please state the answer in the form of a question... Just Curious is the occassional blog of Andrew Nelson. In an attempt to balance the polemical tone of most of the blogosphere, all entries hope to pose at least one useful question. Many entries simply advance useful memes. Personal entries may abandon the interrogative conceit.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

do computers have symptoms?

I was trying to explain a computer problem I've been having to my roommate. I was trying to explain why I thought it was a hardware malfunction and not the software, and I used the word "symptom." Neither of us were really sure if it made sense to apply to computers. Part of me thinks that the biomedical connotations are just too strong. On the other hand, there are few words that fit. I thought of "error" or "bug," but both of those seemed too essential for what I was talking about -- a sign that indicated something else.

I checked the Merriam Webster def of symptom, but that didn't help much... it emphasizes the biological, but doesn't limit it (tho I did discover that its etymology is related to that of "feather.")

Anyway, I think "symptom" would be useful because it helps one talk about phenomena related to the original cause which may or may not be problems in themselves. And the biological metaphor might not be so bad -- we already talk about computer viruses. But I'm convinced that computer scientists must have a settled term for this. Does anyone know what it is?

And can anyone fix my wi-fi?

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home