Just Curious

Please state the answer in the form of a question... Just Curious is the occassional blog of Andrew Nelson. In an attempt to balance the polemical tone of most of the blogosphere, all entries hope to pose at least one useful question. Many entries simply advance useful memes. Personal entries may abandon the interrogative conceit.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

is it really so simple in Darfur?

Of course not; this is Africa.

I've often felt hypocritical for not supporting our campus Darfur Action group, which aims to somehow end the genocide. But whenever I've talked to someone representing them, their plans for action seem either unrealistic or unhelpful. This article from this morning's Times worsens my suspicions of the Save Darfur movement. While I don't know if I buy the author's argument that the movement has actually made things worse, it makes me question whether groups pushing for humanitarian intervention should stick with the narrative of genocide. It seems to suggest inappropriate causes and solutions to situations like Sudan's... perhaps more later...

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home