Just Curious

Please state the answer in the form of a question... Just Curious is the occassional blog of Andrew Nelson. In an attempt to balance the polemical tone of most of the blogosphere, all entries hope to pose at least one useful question. Many entries simply advance useful memes. Personal entries may abandon the interrogative conceit.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

London, Alone - Pt. 1.75 - “Access, Cont’d”

Okay, this isn’t really being written on day 1.75, but it is meant to represent the point I was at earlier today.

One of the reasons we travel is order to feel different. A voyage is like a piece of fiction -- it’s not worth it unless the main character has changed by the end. Until this evening, I was only aware of the fact that I was in London. I didn’t really feel. The main reason was that I was worried. At about noon, this worry was divided into about four parts. My luggage hadn’t been delivered, and I got the sense my clothes were starting to stink. I had slept in that morning -- forgiveable, since I had gotten about three hours of sleep in as many days, but still annoying. As a result, I only spent a few hours in the library, even though I had intended to be there from nine to five. I was able to get oriented and put in a load of requests for materials, but I was still feeling one of my background fears for this entire trip -- that my research won’t turn out to be as promising as I thought. I doubt that will be the case -- I already found a few good things today -- but that may not make the fear go away.

The main irritant of today, though, was that I still hadn’t sent in my final paper and that article for the Weinberg alumni magazine. I feel that there really were extenuating circumstances, but I still felt guilty. Additionally, it meant that I spent the early afternoon searching for wirless internet. I had considered just retyping both items on one of the pay-for internet terminals at the hostel, but this seemed inordinately expensive and time-consuming. This wasn’t too awful, since it helped me orient a bit better. Also, my principal target, the Euston Station area, was not so far from the Wellcome Library. Alas, I failed in the end. Euston Station’s wireless only allows free access to the terminal’s site and a few others. The only alternative I could find nearby was Starbucks, which I was told had a T-Mobile hotspot. Ha, maybe in America, maybe, but I was not going to Starbucks in England. (Though they are ubiquitous, in some areas more than in the U.S. I’ll do a count next time I’m out.)

In the afternoon I was able to buy forty minutes’ access for a pound at the Virgin Megastore. This sounds exspensive if you consider that the exchange rate is a little over two dollars to the pound, but it was much less pricy than anywhere else I looked. The trouble was that when I got into the area, my adapter was incompatible with their outlets. It was sort of like trying to use a three-prong device in a two-prong plug. I even unplugged one of their “arcade tables.” (These were really neat, by the way... old two-player sit-down video game units, except they’ve attached some nice seats and everyone eats on them. You can still play the games, though -- I would have if I weren’t freaking out about the exchange rate.)

Oh, and Boy George was there. I couldn’t really see him, but... weird.

I finally found relatively inexpensive access at a place called Caffe Vero. As I would eventually discover, this is a sort of pseudo-Starbucks, a chain that claims to have London’s “best Italian coffee outside Milan.” It actually was pretty good. I suppose I can forgive the chaininess because the fact that they’re all over the city means it won’t be too hard to find one. If I had actually done some planning for this trip, though, I would have thought about where to find free (or “price-of-coffee”) wireless access. If my need hadn’t been so urgent, I might have worked harder to find free access here, but the only good way I can think of doing that is... the internet. Besides, I snuck a look at a Lonely Planet guide which said most places are pay-for. My own guide, though admirable in other respects, only mentioned one internet café, which looked like every other internet café. And what I needed was wireless, not rows of terminals.

Thus, word for the wise, don’t forget internet access! Now, the real entry.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home