Just Curious

Please state the answer in the form of a question... Just Curious is the occassional blog of Andrew Nelson. In an attempt to balance the polemical tone of most of the blogosphere, all entries hope to pose at least one useful question. Many entries simply advance useful memes. Personal entries may abandon the interrogative conceit.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

how do I get to Africa?

So we had a guest speaker at the AMA today who had recently returned from an education trip to Kenya and Tanzania. Naturally, I went. Not everyone who knows me understands that I have become more or less obsessed with Africa over the past few years. When I'm asked for my major, I'm more likely to say "history of medicine," which tends to be a more popular response than "history of colonialism." But I study the latter, too, and it's impossible to do that without considering Africa. As a result, I've become more interested in what the continet is like today -- its problems, yes, but also the many wonderful manifestations of African culture, which thrives as a part of the modern world.

The trouble is, I haven't been. Africa is a huge and varied place, and most of the people I know who can speak about it with any authority have visited a few different regions. I don't think I intend to become an Africa expert as such, but I think I need to visit there before I decide. But more importantly, I just really, really want to go and see this place I've been thinking about so much (the same thing that made me want to go to London).

So why haven't I gone so far? The easiest way would have been a study-abroad program. But I didn't want to go abroad my junior year because Lindsay was starting at the Art Institute. I can't do it my senior year because I'm working on my thesis. I might be able to apply for some sort of grant to do what I did in London -- a highly focused research trip. But I can't think of a legitimate topic, and I honestly don't think a trip like that would be realistic. I had a hard enough time getting things done in London, a place where I expect to return. If I were in an African country that I might never get to visit again, my desire to talk to people and see things would quickly overwhelm my research goals.

So what about after I graduate? Well, I'll need to be in Chicago for another year while Lindsay finishes school. Presumably I could apply for a Fulbright or something like that -- but I think what I really want first is a short-term trip that combines education and some sort of service. I think that would give me a more rounded experience and grounding for trips in the future. Actually, in an ideal world this trip would also include a bunch of people who I know want to know more about the continent or people close to me whom I want to convince of its significance.

I know that's kind of a crazy dream, but I don't think it's inconceivable. There must be foundations that put together these sort of trips for small groups. (Dr. Parsi went with Global Alliance for Africa, which is based in Chicago -- I'm going to check them out later.) Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas.


--

by the way, the name of our speaker was Kayhan Parsi -- he is supposed to have an op-ed article in the Trib soon, so look out.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home